Episode 008 Field Notes Pleasure On Banklick Creek
The following are notes captured during the research and refinement process. The released episode is the refined product durived from these notes. Therefore, they ARE NOT refined. These notes do include additional reference material and information not included in the final version of the episode. Some elements were not included in the final release because additional validation is required. Some portions were omitted due to time restraints. Multiple drafts of the narrative is sometime included. This information has been provided for fellow historians and researchers interested in advancing the story, and to illustrate the process used to create these episodes. As always, validate and confirm before use.
See Notes Below:
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~kypendle/Pages/pendlecity.html is this the log cabin inn
Shortcreek section
One of the outstanding houses at Short Creek was a huge log house built prior to 1859. It was the home of John R. Wadsworth. At that time some of this area was almost a wilderness. In 1924 this home was owned by James Mitchell Ballinger, when the logs when the logs were sold and moved to Kenton County. It was reconstructed and is still standing near Pleasure Island on U. S. 17, south of Covington and used as a restaurant.
Photos of Pleasure Isle https://facesandplaces.kentonlibrary.org/index.php?q=Pleasure+isle
Video https://youtu.be/L5fLBfiJnEE
As we look from overhead, of an area that was once full of fun and laughter, there is little evidence of the once very large, active and popular Pleasure Isle. To help you get your bearings, in the opening scene, I was fishing and standing in the middle of Banklick Creek, at this location.
Above me and across Madison Pike still sits the Log Cabin Inn. While researching a previous episode, named Low Head Dams on the South Fork, our team discovered this structure was previously located in Short Creek. Today, Short Creek that is known as the Goforth area of Pendleton County. It was built before 1859 as the home for John R. Wadsworth. In 1924 the logs were marked, moved, and reassembled in this location.
Before Pleasure Isle, this area was already being used as a picnics area and swimming destination. On August 1, 1931 an upstream thunderstorm released a flash flood upon this area while folks were swimming in the creek.
Five individuals died that day, drowning victims included (Mrs Lucas) and her seven year old twins (Ruth and James) along with Marhta Mueller, who drown trying to save and a five year old child named Mary Lou Harvey.
Historical records indicate that two wood water gates (locks) had been installed in Banklick Creek to control water levels. A third dam, made of rock, was installed in the confluence of Wayman Branch. Remnants of this dam can be found, still today, east of the bridge that crosses the creek. An earth dam was in the middle of the resort to establish two fishing lakes. In addition, sand had been added to the bottom of the original swimming hole in Banklick Creek.
This is the earliest photo, we could find, of this area. We believe it was taken from the Louisville and Nashville Railroad tracks running on the hill side to the west of the resort.
Note the two lakes in the foreground, the log lodge in the center, the bridge to the right and the creek curving around behind the compound. We believe the white building, barely visible, by the white sycamore in the distance and located directly above the lodge is the Banklick Christian Church. The Log Cabin Inn would be hidden behind the clump of trees in the middle of the photo.
We tried to recreate this photo using Google Earth Pro.
In 1933, this property, was purchased by George Winholtz. His original plan was to operate a sportsman's club, with a lodge and fishing lakes to complement the swimming hole that had already established by the locals in Banklick Creek. His original name for the club was going to be Island Lodge.
However in 1933, Big band and swing music had taken the nation, prohibition was over, cars were becoming more readily available, and people were tired of the depression. They wanted to go out, dance, enjoy the night, dine, drink and be entertained. Mr. Winholtz changed his business model from a sportsman club to a family destination during the day, and a night club during the evenings. The name was changed from Island Lodge to Pleasure Isle.
Concrete stepped walls were added to the swimming pool and on May 27, 1935 an ad ran in the newspaper announcing a concrete swimming pool fed by sparkling spring water. We believe, this so-called sparkling spring water was being derived from behind the dam on Wayman Branch. Rather or not Wayman Branch is truly fed by upstream springs needs to be determined. I recon, it is possible. During dry periods, water could have been obtained from Banklick Creek or from the fishing lakes.
Also in 1935, the log cabin that was used as the sportsman lodge, was remodeled. Do not confuse this with the Log Cabin Inn moved from Short Creek, this is a different structure and located across the creek and on the other side of Madison Pike. A dance pavilion was added, and a bar was built and stocked. Soon thereafter the Jazz Band Leader Zack Whyte and Chocolate Beau (bow) Brummels was playing nightly. This band had recordings with Gennett, Supertone, and Champion Records and was traveling in one of the very first busses used by bands.
In 1936 Will Houser Orchestra was one of the mainliner and Pleasure Isle advertised the opportunity to Swim, Dine, Dance and have mix drinks. Billy Snider and the Kentucky Colonels were booked and performed in June of 1936. And Freddie Morgan and his band made several appearances over the years.
We found this 1936 photo of these six young men enjoying a day at the pool, we believe this is looking across the creek, with Madison Pike and a local store in the background. The entrance to the park would be just to the right of the photo.
This photo of the pool and patrons was taken from the bridge looking down the length of Banklick Creek and across the street at the Log Cabin Inn. Note the concrete structures on the left-hand side of the pool. Today, remnants of this concrete structure can still be found along the creek banks below and are some of the only historical reminders that can be found in the area. This photo currently hangs in the dining area of the Log Cabin Inn.
Newspapers of the time mentions the large number of reunions, Sunday School Classes, garden clubs, company picknicks, political party meetings, and social clubs all scheduling events at Pleasure Isles. Well named bands continued to be booked and the resort remained to be very popular.
In 1942, with every available young man fighting World War II in Europe the night club business slowed.
As we conducted our research, we did find records of drownings that occurred over the 60 years of operations. However, 1943 was a particularly rough year when a five-year-old boy drowned in June and a six-year boy drown 60 days later in August.
In 1946, George Winholtz decided to close and revamp the facility. He closed the original swimming area in the creek, removed the larger second lake and replaced it with a one hundred and ten thousand-square-foot pool.
It is reported that this new pool could hold one-million-gallons of water. He added basketball and tennis courts, putt-putt golf, and reopened in 1951. Once again, Pleasure Isle became a regional favorite.
This topographic map, from the 1950’s, shows the new pool location and the expanded main facility building.
George Winholtz continued to operate the facility for another 25 years until he sold the resort in 1975 to Charles Robinson and his son, Rene.
On February 3, 1976 fire swept through the Pleasure Isle Night club causing as much as two hundred thousand dollars in damage. The Robinson rebuilt placing an emphasis on being a swimming and family destination. The pool remained open for an additional 22 years.
In 1997 the State of Kentucky purchased the land, to expand Ky 17 to a new four lane highway.
In closing, I cannot recommend fishing this location. The Banklick Creek remains on the EPA 303(d) impaired waterway list and this area still need additional work to return to a natural habitat. However, if you have a crazy desire to stand and fish in the middle of the 1935 swimming pool, then the coordinates were listed at the beginning of the episode.
Pleasure Isle was in existence for 62 years and the swimming hole goes back, at least another 15 years. For 80 years this area has been used to entertain the community,
We will close as three young men watch a bulldozer tear out the original pool structure and reopen Banklick creek.
For 80 years a horseshoe bend in Banklick Creek was used as a swimming hole. For 60 of those years the destination was known as Pleasure Isle. Today, very little remains to remind anyone of the favorite destination for three generations. In this video we go creek side and look for remains of the old pool, tell the history, success, and struggles associated with Pleasure Isle.
Video clips of the pool was derived from a family video posted on YouTube. The full-length version can be watched at
https://youtu.be/L5fLBfiJnEE?si=Z75JO0ZGB0gBD9F2
Video clips of the Big Band era was derived from https://youtu.be/3-k9XRTSEiM?si=CHbmUsrhyaIzaaJ-
Newspaper clipping and early photos came from the Kenton County Library collection. The Log Cabin Inn staff granted permission to film and provided the photo of the pool and the Inn. Oral history was derived from a member of the Banklick Christian Church. Her son served as a lifeguard. Thank you.
Pleasure Isle, Pleasure Isle Beach Club, Banklick, Banklick Creek, Zack Whyte, Chocolate Beau Brummels, George Winholtz, Pleasure Isle Night Club, Pleasure Isle Night Club Fire, Charles Robinson, Charles Rene Robinson, Log Cabin Inn,